Clientele HELP Plans are Health Event Life Plans
Do you have enough cash saved if you end up in hospital?
Can you pay your mortgage or rent?
Can you buy groceries?
And can you keep up-to-date with all your monthly budgetary commitments?
If your answer is NO to any of these questions then you need a HELP policy from Clientele, akaa Health Event Life
But I have medical aid!
Even if you have medical aid, you still need HELP.
It gives you a cash injection when you need it most.
So, what is Clientele HELP?
Clientele’s Health Event Life Plan (HELP) is NOT a medical aid scheme. It is an insurance policy that gives you
cash when hospitalised.
Think of your monthly premium as a savings account.
Because the beauty with HELP is that when you end up in hospital you are given cash that you can spend whichever
What does it cost?
With HELP, you can ease your financial stress from as little as R265 to R335 a month.
What are the benefits of Clientele HELP plans?
The benefits are very generous indeed. You can receive:
- Accidental death benefits of up to R500 000**
- Accidental disability benefits of up to R500 000
- Dread disease benefits of up to R250 000
- An annual lump sum pay-out of up to R20 000*
- A daily cash benefit of up to R3 000
- A maternity benefit
- Cover for up to four children at no extra cost
- R50 airtime when lodging a claim
*Lump sum payments are made if admitted to hospital for more than three days.
**The cash payouts depend on the level of benefits selected when you choose your HELP policy.
But wait, there’s more!
Enhanced benefits include:
- Emergency transportation by aircraft or ambulance
- A dedicated emergency helpline that operates 24/7 manned by qualified personnel
- Trauma counselling
- HIV support
Other salient factors
- There is a 12-month waiting period for pre-existing medical conditions
- There is a Premium Payback Benefit, depending on the level of the policy selected
- In the event of death, your beneficiaries are given a lump sum pay-back of all your paid premiums
- A whopping birthday present of 50 per cent of all your paid premiums when you turn 65 years of age
How do I apply for Clientele HELP?
Clientele has streamlined all its services to make it as consumer-friendly as possible.
There are three options once you decide to take advantage of HELP.
- Visit Clientele online here. Tap the Buy Online button and complete the relevant information. A customer
services specialist will contact you.
- Or visit Clientele online and complete the Get A Quote form.
- If you prefer to discuss your options, then complete the Call me Back Form.
It’s vital that you separate fact from fiction.
Fiction: Hospital plans are an affordable medical aid cover solution.
Fact: Hospitalcash back plans are not a substitute for a medical aid scheme. This is a form of
insurance that offers policyholders a daily cash-back pay-out when hospitalised. This cash is intended to be used
to cover non-medical expenses that occur when in hospital.
Fiction: The cash-back pay-outs must be used for hospital expenses.
Fact: Policyholders can use their cash-back pay-outs for whatever they choose. They may decide to
use the money for household expenses for example, or they may decide to use the windfall to take a vacation.
Fiction: Pay-outs are based on hospital expenses.
Fact: Nothing could be further from the truth. Daily cash pay-outs are stipulated in policies and
when paid can be used at the sole discretion of the policyholder.
Fiction:Benefits of Clientele’s HELP policy are only paid in the form of cash.
Fact: False. HELP offers many additional benefits such as trauma counselling, emergency transport
from accident scenes and a dedicated medical helpline.
Fiction: Applicants must undergo a medical check-up.
Fact: Untrue. No medical check-up is required to qualify for Clientele’s HELP hospital cash plan.
Pre-existing medical conditions, however, such as cancer, diabetes or heart problems, must be disclosed when
applying. Pre-existing medical conditions are generally subject to a 12-month waiting period.
Maximise those benefits
Make sure that you read and clearly understand all the benefits of your HELP policy.
Many consumers forgo the benefits of their hospital cash-back plans because they fail to familiarise themselves
with the policy content.
These plans go a long way to smoothing an otherwise bumpy financial road when you are forced to spend time in
They help cover the cost of daily living expenses.
They can be used towards a recuperation holiday.
Whatever you do, do not fall into that hearsay trap.
The hospital plan cover offered by various insurance companies can differ.
If you are unsure about anything, ask your insurance company advisor for a full explanation of the benefits to
which you are entitled.
So, it’s up to you to make sure that you fully understand all the benefits that you are entitled to claim for when
spending time in hospital.
How and when to claim
- Claims can only be lodged when you are discharged from hospital.
- You must spend a minimum of three days in hospital before you are eligible to claim.
- Supply Clientele with your final bill from the hospital.
- This must reflect both the date of admission and of your discharge from the hospital.
- Fully complete the claims form which you can obtain either online or by contacting Clientele by
- There is also a medical report form that must be completed by your doctor.
- Any other additional information that may be required will be obtained by the Clientele Claims Departments
directly from your admissions doctor and the hospital.
Clientele’s Health Event Life Plans are not a medical aid scheme and in no way should be misconstrued as
Whereas medical aid schemes will pay for specified medical procedures and medication, the HELP policy is a cash
pay-out benefit to assist you with non-medical expenses related to the time you spend in hospital.
The HELP policy is not a medical aid scheme and, instead, provides a cash benefit when hospitalised that you can
spend whichever way you choose.
Never substitute a hospital plan for medical aid membership.
However, there is nothing to stop you from having a HELP policy even if you are a member of a medical scheme.
COMPLETE THIS FORM TO GET YOUR MEDICAL AID
Your medical aid quote will include options to suit your pocket. Please ensure that the cover you
select is exactly what you need and that you understand exactly what insurance you are buying. Do not hesitate to
ask questions about the medical aid or hospital cover you choose.