Bonitas Hospital Plans
If you cannot afford comprehensive medical aid, then you should look at Bonitas hospital plans for an
essential product in your healthcare portfolio.
Aptly, Bonitas offers the BonEssential Hospital Plan that costs below R1800 a month for individuals or a smidgen
above R4500 monthly for a family of five or more.
A hospital plan is a form of medical aid but without all the bells and whistles.
A Bonitas hospital plan is two-pronged.
Bonitas hospital plans offer basic cover for hospital procedures and treatments and are designed for people who
are young and healthy. Or those who simply cannot afford the costs involved with a comprehensive medical aid
The beauty of a BonEssential Hospital Plan is that larger families only pay for up to three children. The rest of
the children are
covered free of charge!
BonEssential important facts
Unless otherwise stipulated, policyholders enjoy the unlimited
cover of up to 100% of Bonitas tariff rates.
Members are personally responsible for paying in the differences between Bonitas tariff rates and amounts charged
by the private medical sector. These differing amounts can be covered with a gap cover policy.
Pay for a maximum of three children with the rest enjoying cover free of charge.
Children’s rates apply to full-time students up to the age of 24 years.
Benefits with 100% cover
• Hospitals - unlimited
• Specialist and GP consultations (network doctors and fully covered)
• Unlimited blood tests and Xrays
• Unlimited use of paramedics such as biokineticists, dieticians, occupational therapists and
The hospital plan pays R16 550 per family annually for using alternative facilities
Terminal care is unlimited and includes:
• Hospice/private nursing
• Home oxygen
• Pain management
• Social workers
• Cancer treatments R328 100 annually per family
• Hospice or step-down facilities R15 760 annually per family
• Mental health, including consultation and hospitalisation, R30 680 annually per family
• MRI and CT scans R15 000 annually per family
• Physical rehabilitation R47 250 annually per family
• Take-home medicine R 360 per hospitalisation
BonitasBonEssential Hospital Plan also includes some unlimited benefits. These are:
• Terminal care
• Organ transplants
• Kidney dialysis
• HIV/AIDSif registered on the HIV/AIDS programme
Prescribed Medical Benefits PMBs
The diagnosis and treatment of the 270 PMBs are covered by the BonEssential Hospital Plan for both
in-and-out-of-hospital events, according to stipulated protocols.
Other medical conditions on the PMB list are covered as follows:
• External and internal prostheses
• Unlimited out-of-hospital chronic benefits
The co-payments that apply to this hospital plan include 22 prescribed conditions. These include:
• Functional nasal surgery
• Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy
• Umbilical hernia repair
• Varicose vein surgery
• Back surgery including spinal fusion
• Joint replacements
• Six antenatal consultations
• Two 2D ultrasound scans
• One amniocentesis
• Four post-natal consultations
Other benefits include:
• 24/7 telephonic baby advice line (children under the age of three years)
• GP consultations for children between the ages of two to 12 years
• Contraceptives up to R1 200 from a Designated Service Provider
• Hearing screening for babies up to eight weeks old
• Congenital hypothyroidism screening for babies under one month of age
• A very generous international travel benefit of R5 million per beneficiary, or R10 million per family, per
Preventative Care benefits
• One HIV test per beneficiary
• One flu vaccine per beneficiary
• OnePap smear for females between the ages of 21 - 65 years, every three years
• One pneumococcal vaccine for members over 65 years, every five years
• One stool test for colon cancer, applicable to members between 50 - 75 years, every five years
Blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol, body mass index and waist-to-hip ratio screening, limited to one per
Wellness Extender Benefits
Bonitas hospital plans policyholders can select one of the following consultations, based on 100% of Bonitas
• A stop smoking programme limited to R860 per family
• Principal member R1 731
• Adult dependant R1 324
• Child dependantR507
Remember, you only pay for a maximum of three children with subsequent children enjoying free cover. Children’s
rates apply to full-time students up to age 24 years.
An analysis of BonitasBonEssential Hospital Plan clearly indicates that this form of health cover is worth every
cent paid for monthly premiums.
This hospital plan does cover important medical needs such as most maternity expenses and preventative care such as
contraceptives, scans, mammograms, Pap smears, mental health issues and terminal illnesses.
It also covers 27 chronic conditions, offers a generous travel insurance benefit and allows members to choose any
hospital they like, subject to a 30% co-payment for admission.
BonEssential is an extremely important asset, particularly for young individuals embarking on their career paths,
or for young families working within restricted financial constraints.
It is important to remember, however, that supplementing a hospital plan with an affordable Bonitas gap cover
policy will eliminate any fear of having to find the cash for co-payments and the difference between the insurance
tariff rate and charges imposed by the medical profession.
COMPLETE THIS FORM TO GET YOUR MEDICAL AID
Your medical aid quote will include options to suit your pocket. Please ensure that the cover you
select is exactly what you need and that you understand exactly what insurance you are buying. Do not hesitate to
ask questions about the medical aid or hospital cover you choose.